City Living: Planting a container herb garden

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

It's finally warm! Ish....

Every year I love planting fresh herbs in my garden.  This year is a little different because 1) I  had to wait a bit longer to plant (in case we got another freeze- what?!) and 2) I don't have a yard! When I had a yard, I had rosemary, sage, and lavender in the ground and then I would plant basil, mint, parsley, and oregano during the spring and summer.   Ahh, it was so wonderful!  I was bummed at the thought of not being able to have the same fresh herbs this summer!

Well, guess what?! I have learned I don't really have to plant less than I typically would, I just have to plant in different containers.  A couple weekends ago we got "window boxes" to hang off our back deck so it takes up less space.  I have decided rosemary and basil are my two favorites (and most used) so I potted them in medium sized pots and then planted the rest in the hanging boxes.  We also added some hot peppers to the mix because I am now married to a Texan.

Here are some pictures of the finished product.  I am so excited about it!  Now I just have to remember to water them......

P.S. Check out the gorgeous lilac tree in the background.

Big, hearty Tuscan Rosemary plant.  The pot is from Home Depot- only $14

 This will be the basil.  I plant seeds instead of already grown plants because you get so much more that way. I highly suggest it. 

 Luke's hot peppers: serrano, jalapeño, and poblano. 

Here is our back deck!  








No comments:

Post a Comment