Christmas 2014: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Monday, December 29, 2014

I hope everyone had as wonderful of a Christmas as I did.  This year was such a special Christmas for me.  Not only was it the first Christmas Luke and I got to spend together, but it was the first time he had been back to Richmond since October!  I certainly did miss this guy and am so thankful for the wonderful memories we were able to make this Christmas. I can't wait for many many many more with him! This was also the first time we ever got any joint gifts- it makes everything seem that much more real!  OMG we are really getting married...IN 61 DAYS!!! Eek, I am so excited.  

Christmas in the Byrne house is FILLED with family, food, and lots of entertaining.  Christmas Eve we go to Missy and Maggie's house for dinner. This year was our 21st year going!!! We have ham, turkey, lots of sides, bread and, best of all, apple cake!  Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without Maggie's apple cake.  Yummm

We then all pile into the cars completely fat and full and go to the 11:00 service at church.  Christmas service is definitely one of my favorites.   It always warms my heart to sing Silent Night in the candlelight surrounded by the church family I grew up with.  It makes you forget about the craziness of December and remember, for at least an hour, the true meaning to the season- Jesus being born!  

In the morning we make the coffee, open presents and listen to Christmas music.  After most of the presents are opened we have brunch with the Williamsons.  

After brunch prep for dinner begins!  This year we had:
                  -rosemary marinated leg of lamb
                  -roasted garlic mashed potatoes
                  -asparagus 
                  -cranberry and goat cheese salad with a mustard vinaigrette
                  -yeast rolls 
         and for dessert:
                -creme caramel
                -my grandmother's gingerbread
                -classic white cake with salted caramel icing  

Dinner with my aunt, cousin and their family is always such a fun time.  Byrnes are quite loud and like to have 25 conversations all at once. Add a couple Greeks to that recipe and there is never a dull moment! We eat, drink, argue, talk, drink some more, and then eat dessert.  This year we played Taboo after dinner too.  I think it should be come a yearly tradition, although some people may need to practice a bit before Christmas next year!   It was so much fun though!  And of course, the girls won ;)

Coley and me before Christmas Eve dinner

Luke and me before Christmas Eve dinner

All the girls at Missy and Maggie's. This is the most perfect picture ever



The only picture of Christmas morning that is not too embarrassing to post. 

At brunch with the Williamsons

Cutting the lamb before dinner. 

The beautiful table!

All of the Byrne/ Eliades!

Then we had poppers! 

The king and queen of the poppers

The dessert table!

And of course, coffee and tea

Jeb, Luke, Tish and me. 


Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment