Entertaining: Southern Summer Soirée

Monday, June 22, 2015

The other weekend we had Luke's cousin and her husband over for dinner.  They are very rarely in town so we were SO excited when they were actually available at the last minute for dinner.
All you need for a successful summer soirée is food, a fun cocktail, a bright tablecloth, and pretty flowers.

I made shrimp and grits, yummy blackberry spritzer cocktails and strawberry shortcake for dessert.  I got to use new bowls and glasses I found at thrift stores in Chicago.  I love having an occasion to use my dishes!


You won't find any peppers in my shrimp and grits.  You WILL find extra bacon, mushrooms, and cheesy grits though :)

 This flower arrangement is one of my favorites.  Luke brought me home these cute little flowers and I didn't want to just put them in a vase.  A. you wouldn't be able to talk to the person across the table from you and B. I wanted to do something more fun! So I took a Revere bowl (silver bowl) and put a grid of masking tape inside of it.  I then stuck 2 or three stems into each grid (they stood up that way) until the whole bowl was filled up.  No mess, no oasis needed.  It was awesome! They also lasted for a good week after I made it.

For the drinks, I made a blackberry simple syrup (about a cup), poured it in a pitcher with a bottle of processo then added fresh thyme.  It was very refreshing and summery! Also, look at my pretty glass!

We finished with classic strawberry shortcake.  A homemade biscuit, fresh whipped cream, and sweet strawberries.  Voila!

It was such a wonderful dinner with amazing friends.  We are so lucky to have family that we can also call friends.  I think that is a rare and special thing to have.  :)


2 comments:

  1. Mmm! Strawberry shortcake is the best! And what beautiful flowers! What kind are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It was very yummy! I think the flowers were dahlias.

      Delete