An open letter to the new owner of my house

Wednesday, March 11, 2015





Dear New Owner of my Home:

You probably just got to the attorneys office to sign the final papers and buy my home.  You are probably nervous and excited about this new opportunity, this new place to make your home.  Please love it, take care of it, and cherish the memories you make there. 

Before I bought it, a single man lived there and left it when he passed away.  He had cats to keep him company and a garden in the middle of the backyard to keep him busy (in the spring you can still see the outline of the garden in the back yard).  I was told he was something of a hoarder and that by the time he passed away the poor house was in desperate need of repair and TLC. A house flipper bought the house, replaced most of the drywall, all the windows, roof and kitchen.  The house was healthy again but had no love.  It wasn’t a home again.

When I drove up to it the first time 2 years ago I knew it was supposed to be mine and I saw the potential.  When I bought it it looked like this:



I love that house.  I love that it is old and the basement smells like dirt and must.  I love that I had to put inch-high blocks under two legs of my hutch because the house isn’t exactly level.  I love that when you put wine in the refrigerator it rolls all the way over to the left side. I love that in the middle of the night the screen door will blow open with the wind and then slam shut scaring you to death if you don’t lock it.  I love that the light switch next to my bed did absolutely nothing. 

That home has a piece of my heart. It is where I lived when I got engaged and married.  It is where I hosted my first Easter dinner.  I sent my fiancé off to Chicago while living there. 

I keep calling it my home, and to me it always will be.  But I know that you will paint the walls, hang drapes, fill it with your own memories.  And eventually... Make it yours.  

Take care of it for me.  Love it.  And welcome to your home.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment