Goals for 2015: grace, not perfection

Friday, January 2, 2015

Since 2015 is going to be such a busy year I wanted to take a step back and make sure I am starting it inspired, energized and with intention.  Getting married, moving away, making new friends, keeping up with old friends, and setting up a new home is just the tip of the iceberg of whats in store for us this year!  I don't normally spend a lot of time setting goals for the year but I hope that by taking the time to really think about where I want my life to be when 2016 rolls around that it will be helpful.  This year is going to be a roller coaster, there is no doubt about it, but I want to be intentional about my plans and learn to listen to the direction God wants me to go instead of just being along for the ride.  I want to take it all in and make the best of it.



Goals for 2015:


Grace not perfection This quote from Emily Ley is my motto for the year.  With all of the craziness approaching I need to remember that handling what life throws at me with grace is much more important than striving for perfection all the time.  Because, let's face it- perfection is not a reality. 

Daily devotion This is one that will hopefully help me discern which path God wants me to take.  I want to intentionally stay connected and make time to talk to Him so that He can lead us and show us what an awesome life He has planned for us in Chicago.

Blog three times a week  I started this blog as a way to document our adventures in Chicago and to keep in touch with loved ones in other cities. I hope it can eventually grow into a conversation in cultural differences: starting with the differences in living in the south vs the midwest.  Blogging takes time and I don't always feel that I have enough to say to make an entire post!  But if I am going to do this, I might as well do it right and I think three times a week is a stretch that will take effort but hopefully reap huge reward.

Volunteer somewhere Volunteering has been on my to- do list for years but I have yet to do it.  Whether I use time as an excuse or that I haven't found the perfect place yet, I haven't done it!  I want to find a great organization in Chicago that I can volunteer with.

The Contentment Challenge   I read about this challenge the other week on Bailey Jean's (Brave Love Blog)  goals post from last year and was instantly intrigued.  Last March, Nancy Ray posted a blog post: The Contentment Challenge.  It is a 3 month challenge to not buy anything new – clothes, shoes, accessories, home decor, NOTHING.  The challenge is meant to purge of our constant need to be satisfied by material possessions; to feel beautiful and whole when you have that new top you have been drooling over.  The purpose is to take a step back and be happy where you are, be CONTENT!  It will probably have to wait until after the wedding and after we set up our new home, but I really want to try this this year.  I think it would have a big impact on how I look at material possessions. 

Plug into the events market in Chicago  This one is very daunting for me.  In Richmond I know vendors and have relationships with people I have worked with (and for).  In Chicago nobody knows me and I have to start completely from scratch to meet vendors and get back into the wedding and events market.  I do know though that if I don't get involved once we are in Chicago I will miss it terribly!  I have such a love for events and weddings and I think I would be bored out of my mind without that creative outlet every now and then.  I need to come up with a plan to insert myself and meet people so I can start to learn the market there.  And hey, maybe they will love my southern style :)

What goals are you setting for yourself this year? 

Cheers to a wonderful new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment