The Windy City: Last visit as a "visitor"

Friday, January 23, 2015

Last week I visited Luke in Chicago for 5 days.  It was a much needed mini vacation filled with tons of amazing food, condo shopping [exciting update on that soon!!], and getting acquainted with life in Chicago.  As you can see from the pictures below, the highlight of the trip was definitely the food (the only thing I ended up with pictures of!) When we were packing my bags to leave on Tuesday we realized the next time I will be in Chicago I will be married, a Kohler, and actually LIVING there!  Oh my goodness!  What a crazy thought. 

On Sunday while we were walking around town shopping we stopped in Crate and Barrel to get warm and ended up looking around at their furniture. We talked about what furniture of mine is coming with us to Chicago and what is staying Richmond. We talked about couch colors and shapes, bar carts, and shelves.  It made this whole starting a life and a home together thing that much more real.  We will be shopping for bar carts and couches and shelves for our home soon.  We will have to pick paint colors together and I can't paint my door bright pink anymore (yes, I lost that one)!

Chicago is definitely faster paced.  Everyone always seems to be put together and dressed nicely.  Their hair isn't as much of a mess from the wind as mine is (really! what is the secret to that?!!).  It is all very intimidating.  But in that same breath I am so excited to get to show people around Chicago once we're settled.  I am so excited to learn about it and share it, to introduce the people I love to this new thing in my life!  I want to take everyone to Pops for Champagne and to brunch at Beatrix. I may have to have grits shipped in from The South (yes, I have been advised that they do not sell grits in Chicago!) but how fun is it going to be learning what midwesterners can't live without and would have to have shipped to The South.  

So with that I will stop rambling.  Below are some pictures from our weekend. They are all from my iPhone, so the quality isn't the best and like I said before, they are very culinary focused :)

The first night we went to BBQ.  I was really interested to see if I would be able to get good BBQ in Chicago and it turns out it was pretty good.  Not the best I've ever had and definitely more expensive but I think after a year in Chicago I will love going there when I need a meal from "home". They also gave us 4 different sauces: mustard based, ketchup based, vinegar based, and their made up one that was spicy so I didn't try it.
My handsome fiance at dinner.  Sorry, I had to. 


On Friday night we had a date night to RPM Italian.  A very swanky and snazzy Italian place. Sorry for the terrible picture below of the inside but it was the only one I took!  We had rabbit and porcini stuffed pasta that was to die for.  It was perfectly cooked and sauced...omg.  And then roasted branzino (below) that was also amazing. 


On the reccommendation of a co-worker, we went to Ann Sather to try their cinnamon rolls.  They were yeasty, buttery and sweet but not too sweet.  Oh my.  They are going to be a problem! 


I also have a new obsession with Pops for Champagne and would like to open my own so I can live there all day.  What an amazing idea!  You can sit at the bar and have a glass of champagne or lounge and order a bottle!  It would be such a great place for a special event or engagement.  I will definitely be adding it to my list for when people visit us!

On Sunday we went to a bar to watch the games with some friends (Go Seahawks!!).  I have been so overwhelmed by the love and excitement from our friends in Chicago for us moving up there.  I can't wait to have them over for dinner and make something super southern!  Shrimp and grits maybe???



This is Beatrix, where we went for brunch on Monday.  I had fluffy lemon pancakes with blackberries and a mimosa.  They also have a fabulous coffee bar where people could just walk in and grab a cup to go.  Needless to say, I am going to have to up my workouts once I move!

So cheers to a wonderful weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment